Wednesday, March 27, 2024

mar 2024


Might try and do a deep dive on active listening at some point. For now though I'm just going to put it out there that taking the time to intently listen to anything, not just music, will make a difference in how you process it. These monthly playlists I've been throwing together are the after math of some active listening sessions I've had with the random drops on my Soundcloud feed. It's been a great way to not only open my ears up to interesting production choices but also a reminder that musical standards are bogus. Sometimes the best tracks are still in their technical amateur phase of their recordings process, yet something about that unrefined quality can give a track an edge or unique brilliance.

I've come across this not just in strange electronic music productions but also in recorded analog music as well. As a kid I remember hearing a track by a punk group called The Unseen on a compilation that I became hyper focused on. It had a lot of qualities that make punk songs really good - cringe lyrics delivered with passion, simplistic but catchy riffs, ferocious percussion, and a chorus to get you hooked. Needless to say I was hyped as fuck for the album to come out only to hear the finished, polished track and be sorely disappointed. The song was dead, punk was dead.

Well, actually maybe punk is more alive than ever today. Again, more on that later. Pretty exciting, lots to talk about. If you have ever had the experience I've had with music production / process standards, feel free to drop the story in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment